Thursday, July 09, 2009

Nixon Park

This morning Katie and I took off for Nixon Park down in Jacobus, Pa. Okay so we have a park in York County named for President Nixon, yikes, but it is such a great little place for kids that I'm just glad we have it here! The park sits on 170 acres of hilly land, perfect for walks, hikes, picnic lunches and stomping in the creek and this week is reptile week, so I knew Katie would be more than interested. Above you can see Katie very interested in the insect walls, bugs give me the willies but for some reason this girly girl loves them!
Katie petting "Aaron" the snake. Now you would think that instead of asking his name I would have asked what kind of snake he was, but I didn't, bad Mommy! Any guesses?
This bee hive has been one of my favorites since I was little. The bees were just beginning to really start making the honeycomb and Katie was very interested in hearing and feeling the humming of the bees.
This was a magnet wall with pictures of different native Pennsylvania animals, birds, insects and reptiles. She kept taking the mouse, owl and squirrel off the board and putting them back on, I guess they were her favorites.
Aahhh, a creek!
Showing off her rocks, as she would find them.
This one was her favorite, because it was "huge" and made a big splash.
Chucking rocks.
Taking a stroll along one of the paths, it was a shame that we haven't come earlier, most of the flowers were past their blooming period.
Checking out the creek from another vantage point. She loved being outdoors and playing with her rocks, maybe she gets that from her Uncle Tim, we are going to have to return very soon!

No comments: