Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Iv trouble, again!

It seems as though any progress made by my uncooperative body is always followed by a random, yet significant setback which is then followed by a visit to the hospital. The last time I wrote, which unless you check the blog without prompting you never saw, was on the 4th of July. I had been feeling better, eating and drinking, and basically beginning to think that I was coming out of this haze of sickness and then BAM; I was getting sick all day and was back in the hospital getting fluid pumped into me. That was last Wednesday; a week ago today.

Fast forward to today and we are at the scary nexus once again. I have been back on IV therapy for a week, this time I haven't been feeling as great as before, in fact I have been so nauseas that getting out of bed hasn't been an option on certain days. Couple the nausea with the fact that my IV doesn't want to work and the fact that my veins are shot and we come to this moment in time, a big "now what?".

My current number #1 issue is the IV; I'm like a drug addict with that thing, I need it, I want it and I feel strangely attached to it. Sure it's not very convenient being tethered to a bag for 12 hours a day, but it keeps me from marathon vomiting so I love it. LOVE IT!!

The problem, of course there is one, is that in the past week my mini-cath, the actual injection site where the tube goes into your body, has had to be changed four times. Usually I can keep the same site going for three or four days before it becomes sore or irritated, but my last one only lasted one day before it became backed up and fluid couldn't be pushed through the line. Four changes in one week means four different sites have been punctured, irritated, and bruised and are now on the mend but can't be used until back to normal. Basically I'm out of fresh, healthy veins and my only option would be to have a PICC line put in and instead of boring and possibly grossing you out I'll leave it up to you to Google that process, it doesn't look fun and I really don't want to have one put in.

So this all brings us to right now, 4:45am Wednesday morning, wide awake trying to convince this growing miracle inside me to stop making me sick, begging is next. I have my weekly doctors appointment Thursday, oh and yesterday I had 9 vials of blood taken from me for all sorts of second trimester testing, routine stuff nothing out of the ordinary. Hopefully this time I can live IV free without the hospital outcome, but unfortunatly that's not completely my decision. Keep your fingers crossed for me!!!

No comments: