Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Another Weird Day!

I just wanted to give everybody a quick update on my current situation since I haven’t blogged in about a week so I thought I’d let you all in on my exciting life!

Yesterday morning I woke up with some swelling, nothing too bad, but after weighing myself and noticing a 5 lb. Increase in my weight in the past week I decided that I had better call my doctor just to be on the safe side. They told me to come in and have a quick evaluation just to rule things out and wouldn’t you know that I had to go and add some high blood pressure to the mix.

Ugh.

The first reading was 128/90, which for me is high; my blood pressure normally is in the 110’s/70’s. My weight from swelling was up 5.5lbs. and I had 2+ proteins in my urine once again, so my doctor thought he would check my blood pressure one more time and damned if it didn’t come out 128/100. That was that and my happy butt was heading back to the hospital for some observation time.

My all too frequent trips to the hospital must be boring you all by now, I don’t even think Nat and I react to them anymore, it’s almost an expected trip following every appointment. Anyway, I waddled back over to the Labor hall to room 2314, same boring room with outdated wallpaper, to be poked and prodded and hooked up to machines for a few hours before inevitably being sent home to stay off of my feet.

As soon as I got in my bed I was hooked up to a blood pressure machine and an IV line was started. I had some tests done and although my blood pressure stayed high, around 130’s/90 it didn’t do anything funky like jump up and down so they called it high but normal. They did hook the baby and I up to a fetal monitor and for the first time we got to hear her have a bout with hiccups, which was funny and cute, but no doubt annoying to the woman in the bed next to me trying to sleep off some nausea. And yes once again Katie seems to be unmoved by any of my problems, happily kicking me and flipping all around.

The final call from the doctor is that I am headed for preeclampsia but no one is quite sure when it’s coming. His analogy was that of skating on a pond with a big hole up ahead, I’m going to hit it at some point but the ice leading up to the hole is thin and at anytime it could crack and send me in the drink. Long story short, am I going to make it to my due date, probably not, am I having her this week, probably not…but she’s coming sooner than later.

All of my other blood work was fine and just like I had predicted I was sent home and told to back off on all activity. I am back at the doctors office on Friday and fingers crossed everything will be somewhat normal again. Oh and did I mention that my parents are in Ireland, so making a big deal out of this might send my mother to an Irish hospital or she might start swimming home, either way $10 says they don’t leave York until she’s born.

Ok, I will say goodbye for now, I’ll update again after my doctors appointment on Friday, pray for lower blood pressure!!!

No comments: