Tuesday, November 22, 2005

What I'm Thankful For

This Thanksgiving season I have many things to be thankful for; I have a husband who loves me, a great family, a super awesome fat cat, a nice home and wonderful friends. Yet yesterday my previous reasons to give thanks were all blown away by one simple thing;

NO MORE PROGESTERONE SHOTS!!!!!!! (Woo-hoo, yippie, halleujah!!)

Here is the lead up story to yesterday:
Nat had been giving me the progesterone shots for just over a week, 16 injections to be specific, and all on my left side because my fertility doctor was concerned that I had some residual numbness on my right side from the previous months injections. I had been waiting since injection one to see the neurologist to get cleared for shots to resume on the right, but when I made the appointment Monday the 21st was all they had, I would have to suck it up and wait through 8 days of shots.

After day 3 my sucking up had been sucked out.

When I say that I was in pain from all these shots hitting one muscle, twice daily, I would be underselling it. My flanks were swollen, discolored, and the muscle was in constant flex. I was walking with a limp, waking myself up in the middle of the night from rolling over, and every new injection would almost bring Nat and I to tears. The best analogy I could come up with was that it felt like stitches that kept tearing open, if you have ever had surgery you know that tugging feeling. I was basically in constant pain with only Tylenol, ice packs and a heating pad at my disposal. Ugh.

By yesterday morning I was ready for that neurology appointment. I knew, just knew, that the doctor would check out my thigh, say it was normal and let Nat resume shooting me in righty. I went to my appointment in the pouring rain and waited patiently for the doctor to clear me and send me on my way.

Not to be. (Of course by now you should know that!)

Now you would think that at this stage of the game I would be prepared for anything; I mean this whole infertility thing hasn't exactly gone swimmingly for me. When I met Dr. May, the neurologist, he began asking me what was going on and I filled him in on the thigh numbness and the tenderness that I still had on my right side. He asked if I was having numbness this time on my left side and of course I was, I had it on both sides last time as well. What's the big deal?

I guess the numbness is always a big deal, he said I should have seen him the first time I had any numbness, it's not normal; You know that does make sense. He made me lie down on the doctor table and proceeded to poke me with a toothpick, and put hot and cold items on the affected areas of my thighs.

Couldn't feel a damn thing.

All this led him to the conclusion that I had actually damaged my nerves. He explained that nerves take a long time to recover so we won't know if it's permanent or for at least 6 months. Can you believe this? By now you are all saying, duh, yes Suzi, you are a walking time bomb. He recommended no more injections and with that no more sore butt, no more leaning and hobbling. YAY!! Is it weird to be a little happy you have nerve damage to get out of something? I'm still taking progesterone in another form, think injection without needles, so my body should stay happy.

So yes I have nerve damage, but since it might not be permanent (fingers crossed) I am going to look at this with positivity. Another crisis somewhat avoided.

Well Happy Thanksgiving everyone!! I hope you all spend the day with people you love and give thanks for those who love you. Talk to you soon!!!

No comments: