Tuesday, November 28, 2006

We Are Home!!!

This is our last official picture from the NICU. Katie was happy to be disconnected from the monitors and it was nice to be able to walk around with her not tethered. The blanket she is wrapped in was my baby blanket from my Grandma George, my mother had it dry cleaned so that I could bring Katie home in it.
The meeting of the two little ones! Scout wasn't as excited to see Katie home as we were. At first she was just sniffing all around her but by 7pm she was getting sick all over the place, I think she is traumatized. Today she has been a bit better, basically she is ignoring us but she shows up once in a while to check and see if Katie is still here!

I know a lot of you didn't think Katie looked too small in most of the pictures that I posted so I thought that maybe this one might change your minds. They make car seats for babies over 5lbs. so we had to rig the seat a bit just to get her in it, she had washcloths rolled up between her legs so the strap would fit and a blanket rolled up around her head so it would fit in the headrest. (As you can tell from this before-rigging picture her head isn't fitting anywhere near correctly!)
We came home yesterday around 4pm and although she slept the whole way home she was up and checking out the place in no time. We didn't get too much sleep last night, the NICU nurses told us the first night is the hardest because the babies have new noises, smells, and things to see. Nat and I did our best with taking turns, I slept from about 11pm-2am and then Nat slept from about 2:30am-7am. I then went back to bed around 7:30am-9:30am while Nat fed Katie a bottle and started some laundry. It was crazy and we are both really tired but I am already learning so much about Katie's behavior and noises, she really only fusses when hungry but makes tons of noises when sleeping.
Well tonight is a bath night so I have to start getting ready now; I know at some point we will move with machine like precision but right now it's all hands on deck for every little thing. Whew!!

1 comment:

Suzi said...

She's small but long, which is making it extremely fun to find clothing that fits! She is doing pretty well right now, except I swear she is eating way more than she did in the NICU, I guess she's growing so that will just happen!