Friday, August 12, 2005

The Joy of Shots

Today was our injections class and everything went very smoothly, except for one pale husband. The reason it went smoothly was the fact Nat didn't have to give me a "practice" shot like we both thought he would but a certain stress ball didn't get away so lucky. Our nurse, Sue, showed us how to use the medications, where to administer the shots, and in one case how to mix the shot. All but one of the shots I will do myself in my hip area or within one inch on either side of my belly button. They are little tiny needles that I have used before and I swear they don't hurt at all. Now the last shot, the progesterone oil, Nat will have to give me. At fisrt we thought it was in the fat part of your butt, which I was a little excited about because I figured I had a lot of fat there and it might not hurt as badly. Well we learned that the shot is actually given in your flanks, above your butt and to the side. Now don't get me wrong there is still a good amount of fat there but that's where your pants sit and I feel like the needle is going to poke my hip bone. I know i'm being irrational about that but, if you think I'm nervous about taking the shot you should have seen Nat giving the practice shot to the stress ball. First nurse Sue told Nat that when he has the neddle totally in he has to pull the plunger out just a bit to make sure there isn't any blood coming out, that would mean he hit a vessel. (1st freak out) Then because the shot is an oil it's super thick and it takes a good bit of pressure and time to get it out of the syringe, and I mean a lot of pressure. (2nd freak out) Then we learned that if I am indead pregnant and the end of this cycle Nat will have to do this for 8-10 weeks. (3rd Freak out) Needless to say that we are going to take nurse Sue up on her offer to help Nat the first few times by drawing a bullseye on the area and then helping Nat actually give me the shot. I guess every girl dreams of having a bullseye drawn on their fat parts but usually there is liposuction following that! So anyhow that was our morning. After the injections class we signed all of the papers and paid for our 1st IVF treatment. Now I feel like the ball is really rolling. Next up, the SHG on the 17th. More then.......

No comments: