Monday, August 29, 2005

Trial Transfer

5am came extra early today after being on vacation. Usually I wake up with Nat, talk to him while he get's ready for work and then as soon as he leaves I proptly pass out for another hour or two.

Today was very different.

My day began around 4am when I woke up with hot flashes, ugh. I had actually left our bedroom around midnight because I was hot and "ruching" around in bed so much that I was keeping Nat awake. I trudged down to the basement where it was a bit cooler and plopped down on the couch and watched all of the hurricane news I could handle. I think it was somewhere around 1am when I finally fell asleep; I was so tired that I didn't even turn off the TV. The next thing I remember is waking up, sweating, with two blankets on top of me, looking at the clock and seeing 4:14am and cursing a little under my breath. Stupid hot flashes!! The Lupron is finally rearing its ugly head, dang it. So I started watching CNN again, checking out the hurricane and waiting until 5am to go upstairs and complain to Nat.

5am finally came and I went upstairs to meet Nat and it seems as though he was having issues with being awake that early as well. With no real time to comiserate with each other, I layed back in bed and stared at the walls while he got ready for his day.

The real excitement for the day didn't begin until about 5:30am, when Nat left. I had my trial transfer scheduled for 7:30am. The trial transfer is exactly what it sounds like, they like to measure the path to your uterus before the actual transfer just to make sure they get it right when it's "go time"and there are no surprises. What those surprises could be, I don't know, but that's what they told me, I guess I should have asked. The trick to the transfer is that you must have a full bladder, which means mass consumption of liquids very early in the morning.

The nurse told me that I should be finished drinking 48 oz. of water one hour before my appointment. As soon as Nat left for work I started drinking and by 6:30am I had finished my last drop of water and decided to get ready for my appointment. Now see if you can spot the huge error in my judgement...

I decided to take a bath and read the newspaper to kill some time and take my mind off of the ever growing pressure in my bladder. I was fine for about 15 minutes when it became apparent to me that sitting in warm water was really not helping my cause, on top of that I was reading about a hurricane and I had CNN on in the background discribing the huge "deludge" about to hit New Orleans. I was in trouble. In fact I distinctly remember looking at the clock at 6:45am and thinking to myself that there was no way I could make it another hour without causing myslef major, major pain. So I did what any woman does when she's desperate,

I cheated!!!

I had to go so badly and seriously there was no way, no way, I was going to make it. At 6:58am, 32 minutes before I was supposed to have a full bladder, I broke down and went to the bathroom. I'm such a wuss. As soon as I walked out of the bathroom I put my game face back on and began chugging water like it was free beer at a frat house. Somehow my body had to absorb 48 oz. of water within the next half an hour. I was drinking water so fast that I actually got a stomach ache and for a brief moment thought I was going to throw up. But somehow I did it!! I got to the doctors office and they did a quick ultrasound to check my bladder and she said that it looked good and full and we were ready to go. Yay for cheating!

The whole procedure took about 5 minutes and I have gone to the bathroom about 5 times since then. During the actual transfer I will be given a catheter because running to the bathroom isn't allowed for 20 minutes and trust me if you have ever had to balloon your bladder every second it very measurable.

Okay well that's it for today, sorry it was so long. It will be about a week until a new post, nothing exciting in the world of my fertillity this week. Lots of love, Suzi

No comments: