Wednesday, August 17, 2005

A New Test

Well this morning I had a procedure called a sonohysterogram, or SHG. It wasn't too bad, just a little uncomfortable. The test is done to make sure my uterus is in working order and lucky me mine is! The uncomfortable part comes from the catheter that is inserted into the uterus and the saline/dye solution they pump in, ugh. At least they have a monitor on the ceiling so I could watch the whole thing via internal ultrasound, now if I could only understand what I was looking at?! Seriously, I have been looking at my own ultrasounds for about 8 months now and I still nod like an idiot when they point things out. But, like I said everything looked great and they are finally going on the record and saying that I have polycystic ovarian syndrome. You have no idea how many doctors I have hounded about having PCOS, I feel like I am the walking poster child for the symptoms. I only ever had one test done, an exciting test where I had to collect my urine in a jug for 24 hours, and when that test came out negative the whole notion of me having this was thrown out the window. Dr. Filer, my IVF doctor, told me today that there is no definitive test for diagnosing PCOS but by looking at my ovaries he said that he was sure I have it. Really this changes nothing except for the way they administer my medications, I think it's easier to hyperstimulate the ovaries on these crazy medications when you have PCOS. Well that's it for today; oh, I have to take Doxycycline for two days to make sure I don't get an infection and because of this wonderful medication I can't go out in the sun, BOO!! Time to lay down and rest... Later...

No comments: