Saturday, August 27, 2005

One shot two puncture wounds....

Now that our vacation is over the seriousness of the next few weeks, and hopefully months, are setting in. We had a great time in Myrtle Beach, the weather didn't exactly play nice, but we still had a relaxing time. The picture above is from a "cruise" that we took on a boat called the Sea Screamer. Obviously with that name you can tell it wasn't a fancy boat trip, it was more of a get completely soaked and look for flipper out in the ocean kind of operation. As you might also be able to tell is that Nat and I are seated in the first seat in the front of the boat, we got completely and utterly SOAKED! I loved it, Nat got a little sea sick. To be fair the water was so choppy that we didn't even stay out in the ocean for more than 15 minutes. (Boo) We ended up doing a tour of the intercoastal waterway which has a no wake zone so we couldn't speed, but we did see a bunch of dolphins so I guess we got our monies worth.

We decided to come home yesterday, Friday, instead of today so we could have one more day of relaxation before Nat went back to work. Also, I started my injections of Lupron yesterday and since I had no idea how I would react to it I thought it might be best to come home. The funny story about the injection was that I had to do it around 6pm and since Nat and I were driving that meant that we would have to pull over wherever we were. It ended up working out that we ran out of gas right before 6pm, right outside of Richmond. So we pulled into a gas station, Nat pumped gas and I gave myself my first Lupron shot!!!

Well at least that's what I thought.

We got back on the highway heading north on 95 when it occured to me that there was no "sting" with the shot. Normally you can feel the medication going in to your body and I couldn't. So I pulled out my little vial of Lupron and looked at it a bit more closely and realized that it is only filled halfway with the liquid. Lo and behold when you stick the needle in it doesn't even reach the liquid, so my first shot of Lupron turned out to be a 10mL shot of air! Nat then pointed out that I was supposed to invert the vial and draw the Lupron out upsidedown so I could read the measurement on the syringe, information that would have been useful about 15 minutes ago! So right there in the middle of Richmond rush hour traffic I offically gave myself the 1st shot of Lupron and right on cue it began to sting.

The moral of this story is to pay attention during the injection classes, I thought I was and shockingly Nat did! It's funny how most of the women I know, including myself, always complain that our husbands, fathers, male friends don't ever listen to us, maybe the key is always have a sharp object in your hand while talking, hummm.......

Well I have my "trial transfer" on monday so I'll write more then. Have a good weekend!

No comments: